Won't You Take Me To...GermanTown

Got some brats at Trader Joes and decided to go kinda German tonight.  The menu:

Brats, boiled in beer then grilled on the grill pan
Cabbage Salad
Pretzels

First there was some drama when the grease from the brats caused a bit of a flare up while they were on the grill pan.  I'd estimate the flame was about a foot high.  And this caused the smoke alarm to go off, which made me think of my mom shouting, "Dinner's ready" in similar situations.  But no harm done, the flame went out on its own as soon as I got the brats off the grill.  And the smoke alarm stopped in time for eating, after I opened some doors.

Then there was lots of drama over trying the salad, but the boys did end up cleaning their plates.  "Big Voice" had to come out and count down the moments left to eat.  Big Voice is an iphone app that Darby uses for the boys to get dressed in the morning.  He's vaguely English and very authoritative.  I might be in love with him. 

Darby and I enjoyed the cabbage salad, and although the recipe says it is for 6 people, I think it would probably be more like 8 to 10.  There is a lot left.  The recipe is from epicurious and I used quite a bit of substituting.  I didn't have apple cider vinegar or Dijon, so I used mostly rice vinegar with a splash of red wine vinegar and stone ground type mustard.  And I used run of the mill bagged cabbage.  I'm sure the salad would have been much prettier with the red cabbage, but it still was looking pretty good. 

I liked the pecans and have a lot left in the bag so might make a close version of this for my big Norwex party on Friday and serve the nuts on their own.

Cabbage Salad with Apples and Pecans
2 t butter

1 c pecan halves
2 T brown sugar
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1/8 t (scant) cayenne pepper

2 T seasoned rice vinegar (in the Asian section of the grocery store)
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 t Dijon mustard
1/4 c olive oil

2 medium unpeeled Braeburn or Fuji apples, quartered, cored, thinly sliced crosswise
2 T fresh lemon juice
3 c thinly sliced red cabbage
2 c thinly sliced Napa cabbage
3/4 c dried tart cherries (about 5 ounces)

Nuts:  melt butter in nonstick medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add pecans and stir 1 minute. Add brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and cayenne; stir until nuts are coated, about 1 minute. Transfer nuts to foil sheet and cool.

Dressing:  Whisk both vinegars and mustard in small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Toss apples with lemon juice in large bowl. Add cabbages and dried cherries; mix. Add dressing and toss. Stir in pecans and season salad with salt and pepper.

Comments

Popular Posts