Teriyaki Pulled Pork and Singapore Slaw

Here's a twist on the usual bbq pulled pork and tangy coleslaw combination.
The teriyaki pulled pork is a crockpot recipe from myrecipes.com.  I like this for a weeknight meal.  And for the coleslaw, rather than all the chopping and dressing making in the recipe below (it's good but takes more time than I want on a Tuesday night at 5:30) I have just added an Asian-style salad dressing to packaged coleslaw mix.

Teriyaki Pulled Pork
approx 3 lb boneless pork shoulder roast, trimmed
2 t olive oil
1 c finely chopped onion
1 c teriyaki sauce, divided
1/2 c unsweetened pineapple juice
3 T flour
8 buns, split
1 (20 ounce) can sliced pineapple, drained (optional)


Directions
In a large skillet, brown roast in oil over medium-high heat. Place in crockpot.  Add the onion, 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce and pineapple juice. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.

Remove roast; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the flour and remaining teriyaki sauce until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Cover and cook on high for 30-40 minutes or until thickened. Shred meat with two forks; return to the slow cooker and heat through. Spoon 1/2 cup onto each bun; top with a slice of pineapple if desired.

The slaw recipe is one I have written down in my recipe notebook and I have no idea where it came from but I have made it often for potlucks, which has led to questions like, "Why are there peanuts in my coleslaw?".   Most people think it's really good, and I agree.  There are other Asian coleslaw recipes out there too--I saw one that included coconut that I want to try.  I'll report back on that one later in the summer.

Singapore Slaw
1 head cabbage, shredded or 1 package coleslaw mix
1 jicama, peeled and cut into strips (and/or a can of water chestnuts, which have a similar texture but don't have the slight apple-y sweetness)
3 oranges, sectioned or can of mandarin oranges, drained
1 or 2 green, red, or yellow pepper, cut into strips
1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
1/4 c. cilanto

Dressing:
1/4 c. peanut oil
3 T rice vinegar (or plain, I don't think it makes much difference)
2 T sugar
1 T sesame oil
2 T soy sauce
1/2 t dry mustard
Whisk together

1/2 c peanuts

Chop and combine vegetables, cover and chill up to 4 hours.  Mix dressing.  To serve, toss salad with dressing and add peanuts.

Comments

Popular Posts