Comfort Me with Mashed Potatoes

Sure, Song of Solomon says "comfort me with apples" but mashed potatoes will also do nicely.  This week Cub had BOGO on Simply Potatoes mashed potatoes.  I had a partial brick of cream cheese, some sour cream, and some cheddar cheese in my fridge.  So I decided to combine a couple old school recipes and make cheesy mashed potatoes with cornflake topping.  Not uber healthy, but we like to say they're good for the soul.

Cheesy Cornflake Topped Mashed Potatoes
One container Simply Potatoes mashed potatoes
2 T sour cream (more or less)
1/3 of an 8 oz brick cream cheese
1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese (you could use any cheese you want)
1/2 onion, diced
small bit of butter to saute' the onions

1/2 c crushed cornflakes
1 T butter

Preheat the oven to 350.  Saute' the onions in a little butter to caramelize them.  You could use raw onions too, but browning them a bit first seemed to bring a nicer flavor.
Heat the mashed potatoes in the microwave so they are easier to stir, a minute or two.  Add the sour cream, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and onion to the potatoes and mix thoroughly.  Place in greased casserole dish.  Melt the 1 T butter and add the crushed cornflakes.  Top the potatoes with the cornflake-butter mixture.

Bake for about 30 minutes.

I served with a ham steak, which I had intended to grill, but then decided to use my grill pan on top of the stove.  Either way is very quick and tasty.  If I had been more ambitious I might have added a glaze to the ham steak.  But I wasn't.  And the ham and potatoes were accompanied by baked beans along with a cabbage salad from the grocery store deli.

It was an easy weeknight dinner and my beloved ate it with relish and gratitude, which is also good for the soul.

Comments

  1. Yummy!
    I have never made a ham steak but keep hearing about them...I think you need to teach me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ham steak just a big slice of precooked ham. You heat and serve--super easy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts