Easy Peas-y Carbonara

This is a Cooking Light recipe that is carbonara-like with its bacon and eggs.  It doesn't taste like it's only 359 calories per serving and it's an easy weeknight meal.  This recipe makes 8 servings and we like it leftover, so I often make the full amount.  It reheats better when heated in a pan on the stove rather than the microvwave.  I add a little milk.  If I cut it in half I use 2 eggs.  It would actually be easier to cut the recipe into thirds if you only want a generous serving for 2.
1 pound uncooked spaghetti
12 bacon slices, chopped (more or less)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 c 2% reduced-fat milk (I usually have 1% on hand and use that)
1 t salt
1 t freshly ground black pepper
3 eggs
1 c frozen petite green peas, thawed (I add more than that because I like peas)
1 1/2 c (6 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese (you can use the kind that comes in the tub, but I prefer to grate a wedge myself)

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup hot cooking liquid (or just dip out 1/2 cup before you drain if you don't want to mess with draining into a bowl).

While water heats up and pasta cooks, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan. Discard remaining drippings; set bacon aside. Add garlic to drippings in pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.  (I frequently have cooked bacon in the freezer if I've made a whole package and only used part of it.  In that case I cook the garlic in some olive oil.)

Whisk together in a bowl the milk, salt, pepper, and eggs. Gradually add reserved hot cooking liquid to milk mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add pasta, milk mixture, and peas to skillet; cook over low heat 3 minutes or until sauce thickens. Add bacon and cheese; stir to combine.

It reheats better in a pan on the stove with a little added milk, rather than the microwave.

Comments

  1. This looks entirely too healthy...I should post the one I made this week, although it's bad...I mean it tastes good, but it's heavy whipping cream cooked down, bacon, egg, ASPARAGUS (lol), parmesan, etc. Not the healthiest, but I thought the asparagus made it at least LOOK good :)

    I'm going to try this - maybe even with the peas - but no promises ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts