Crock Pot Thai Pork & Peanut Sauce

Now that the weather is heating up, meals that don't use the oven come in handy.  I love this in the winter too.  It's year round good.  This is my version of my favorite recipe from "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook."  I am not sure if using teriyaki sauce is all that Thai, but the peanut butter moves it to the Thai area of Asian food.

Crockpot Thai Pork and Peanut Sauce
Ingredients
2 pound Boneless pork loin (I use any pork roast that is on sale)
1/3 c teriyaki sauce (it can be the kind with or without sesame seeds, I use Trader Joe's usually, but any kind is fine)
2 T rice vinegar (or regular, don't think it makes much difference)
1 t red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 c creamy peanut butter

For Stir Fry Vegetables
2 t peanut or vegetable oil
2 red peppers, sliced
optional: snow peas, sliced red onion, bean sprouts, etc.
optional: splash of soy sauce

For Serving
1/2 c chopped spring onions (white & green parts)
1/4 c dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
1 limes, cut into wedges
jasmine rice (or any kind of rice, but I like jasmine)

Preparation
Put the pork, teriyaki sauce, rice vinegar, red pepper flakes and garlic in the cooker.  Cover and cook on LOW until the pork is fork tender, 8-9 hours.

Chop or slice the stir fry vegetables.  Remove the pork from the cooker and coarsley chop. Add the peanut butter to the liquid in the cooker; stir well to dissolve to make the sauce.   The original recipe calls for including sliced red peppers in the crockpot, but they turn out mushy and gross in my opinion. So I stir fry red peppers and any other vegetables that sound good or I have on hand, such as pea pods and red onions. Stir fry in small amount of oil until crisp-tender.  Add a little soy sauce if desired.

Serve in shallow bowls. Jasmine rice in first, then stir fried veg, then pork, then sprinkle on onions and peanuts, then add a squeeze of lime.  These toppings make a big difference in the taste and are more than garnish.

Comments

  1. This looks right up my alley! I LOVE peanut sauce - have you ever tried soba noodles? My favorite peanut sauce recipe is over soba instead of rice and they combine so nicely...rice noodles are my fave too - mostly because I just really suck at making rice. Shouldn't have returned that rice cooker from the in-laws I guess ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts