Crockpot Pork Tacos

We're on a bit of a crockpot and pork roll here, but a budgeters gotta do what a budgeters gotta do.  Pork has been on sale a lot.  There was a BOGO coupon at the local market this week for pork chops, and I thought, "Can I find one more recipe for pork chops I want to try?"  The answer is Yes. Yes I can. 

Crockpot Pork Tacos
Ingredients:
4 large boneless thick cut pork chops (original recipe calls for boneless country-style pork ribs or pork shoulder, which would be great too)
2 t salt
2 t black pepper
1 t dried oregano
1 t cumin
1/2 t cayenne pepper
(I think it you really wanted to, you could use a packet of taco seasoning instead of these spices)
splash of water or broth (I was a little worried about the pork drying out, but I think it would have been okay without this)
1 onion, cut into slices
4 garlic cloves, smashed with the side of your knife or chopped
Tortillas and your choice of toppings: shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, sliced avocados or gaucamole, etc.  I made fresh Cowboy Caviar type salsa and it was really good with this.

Directions:
Toss pork in the slow cooker crock with seasonings to coat. Place onion and garlic pieces on top of pork. Cover slow cooker and cook pork on low setting until meat is very tender and falling apart.  Make sure it is plugged in.  The original says to cook for about 6 hours but I had it going for about 9 hours while at work and it was fine.

Using slotted spoon, transfer pork to cutting board. Using forks or fingers, shred pork; transfer to platter.  Serve with tortillas and toppings.

Here's the original:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Slow-Cooked-Carnitas-Tacos-241855#ixzz0rCrJBGOP

There are lots of Cowboy Caviar recipes out there, some with black eyed peas and some with black beans.  I love black beans, so that's what I used.
Cowboy Caviar
2 cans black beans, rinsed
1 large can diced tomatoes, drained
1 can Rotel tomatoes, drained
4 tomatoes, seeded and diced small (optional--I had these on hand)
1/2 onion, diced small
2 cloves garlic, minced
kernels from 3 ears of sweet corn (or frozen or canned corn)
1 yellow, orange or red pepper, diced small
splash red wine vinegar
splash olive oil
salt and peppr to taste
handful of cilantro leaves, chopped

Comments

  1. You should try this one sometime: A little less prep work :) I found it on simply recipes.
    http://pinksposts.blogspot.com/2009/03/carnitas.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts