Dippity Do Dah

Yesterday's lunch menu was outside of our normal peanut butter/nugget/mac and cheese/soup rotation because we had guests.  This is also good for a lighter dinner.

Menu:
French Dip Sandwiches
Waldorf Coleslaw
Chips and salsa
Bakery valentine cookies

For the French Dips:
-1/4 lb (could be more or less) deli sliced roast beef per person
-1/4 to 1/2 c beef broth per person (I've used the packaged au jus you add water to or canned beef broth or beef boullion)
-hoagies or french bread (can use any variety, Target had Pepperidge Farm French Twin Heat and Serve on sale so I used that)
-sliced Swiss cheese (if desired--I don't always add this)

Heat the beef broth in a sauce pan on the stove top.  Add the deli beef to warm it.  Toast or warm the bread in the oven.  You could butter it, or not. You could add the beef and cheese to it before putting in the oven.  Otherwise, just make the sandwiches after the bread is toasted.   Serve the sandwiches with the au jus/beef broth for dipping.  You could also carmelize some onions (slice thinly and cook slowly in a small amount of oil) and put on top if you like.

For the Waldorf Coleslaw, I like this epicurious recipe for its sweet and tangy combination.  I add raisins and use whatever apples I have on hand (usually braeburn) and most importantly I used the precut coleslaw in the bag for speed and ease.  Also, yesterday I was out of plain yogurt so I used sour cream and also fresh out of dijon so I used regular mustard and it tasted just as good to me.  If you were totally crazy or a senior citizen you could add marshmallows.  I hear it's all the rage at the nursing home.  I cut this recipe in 1/4 since there were only 5 of us and 3 were kids.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Waldorf-Coleslaw-12121

Comments

Popular Posts