Take this stuffing and...eat it

My BFF Diane had a turkey in the freezer she had purchased when they were uber cheap.  Because she loves us, a few weeks ago she cooked it in her giant electric roaster and brought it over to our house for a turkey dinner.  I decided to go full-blown Thanksgiving style and make stuffing and mashed potatoes. 

Menu
Turkey
stuffing
mashed potatoes
gravy
corn (homemade freezer type)

Can you say carbs? 

This stuffing recipe is based on one called Anyday Dressing from the Catholic ladies cookbook from my hometown and has been a Thanksgiving staple in my family for many years.  It was submitted to the cookbook anonymously.  This is a puzzle to me.  Who wouldn't want to take credit for something so divinely down home and good? We never actually stuff the turkey, because it is too much work, questionable in its food safety status, and the stuffing gets a nice little crust on it when you make it in a separate dish.  This is a great way to use up bread or buns you put in the freezer that have been in there a bit too long, since you want the bread dried out a bit.

Happy Day Stuffing
(because I like to call it Stuffing and not Dressing even though it is not actually stuffed, and any day that involves stuffing is a happy day)
10 pieces of bread, or the equivalent amount in buns, left out uncovered overnight or for several hours, then torn or cut into 2 inch or so cubes
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 c celery, diced
4 T butter
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 t poultry seasoning or sage (I use Bell's Seasoning)
1 can chicken rice soup
8 oz chicken stock

Add bread to buttered or sprayed casserole dish.  Cook onion and celery in the butter in a large saute pan until softened and onion starts to brown.  Add the seasonsings and then the soup and stock.  Pour mixture over bread in the casserole and mix thoroughly. Bake uncovered at 325 for 1 hour.

I'm not sure why I don't think to make it more often, especially since the name says "Any Day."  It would be great with chicken too.  It's easy and I know I'm partial because I grew up on it, but it's the best stuffing I've ever had.  Also, Trader Joes frozen mashed potatoes are awesome if you haven't tried them.  They come fozen in little discs, so you can make a very small amount or the whole bag.

And friends, I tried something new with the leftovers and made a version of a shepherd's pie.  Layer turkey on the bottom, then gravy, then vegetables (I used mixed because the corn was gone but corn would have been more decadent and tastier), then stuffing and/or mashed potatoes.  I just used what I had left of the stuffing and mashed potatoes, so part of the casserole was covered with the stuffing and the other part with mashed potatoes.  Mr. G. really enjoyed.  I was just medium on it, and have that kind of reaction to shepherd's pie in general too, but appreciated the using up of leftovers as a budget helper.

Comments

Popular Posts